Immunity With Limited Rations: Chickpeas To The Rescue
As the entire planet fights the deadly coronavirus, we all have one question in our minds. How can we boost our immunity with the limited food items available due to the lockdown? Fortunately, several ingredients in our pantry can come to our rescue. Let us start with chickpeas.
Chana, chickpea, garbanzo bean, or Egyptian pea is a versatile and easily available ingredient in most of our homes. It is a key ingredient in many staple dishes such as hummus, falafel, and chole.
Zinc is a key mineral to boost immunity. Chickpea is rich in zinc and many other ingredients. Nutritionists often recommend this plant protein to boost immunity.
What are the other benefits?
Apart from boosting our immunity, this wonder legume offers several other benefits:
- As a low calorie filling food, it can be a great aid in weight management
- Low GI and high soluble fiber can help in controlling blood sugar levels
- Rich source of plant protein to help vegans and vegetarians build muscle strength
- Soluble fiber increases good bacteria in the gut and reduces bad cholesterol
- Magnesium and potassium in chickpeas can help control high blood pressure
- Rich source of antioxidants and vitamins that can reduce oxidative stress and help reduce the risk for cancer
- Iron, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous found in chickpeas can help improve bone health
- Rich source of choline for brain and nerve health, improved moods
- Safe option to control menopausal symptoms
- Good for eyes and skin
Food for all
Apart from being easily available, this legume is versatile, easy to cook, and delicious to satisfy the most finicky palette. Mothers whose children crib about eating chickpeas often find interesting recipes to help their families enjoy the benefits offered by this legume. In many countries, it is inexpensive and a regular part of the meal.
There are many recipes available to ensure that this ingredient is part of your meal. Make it a regular part of your diet to reap the many benefits.