Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated for 10 days with a lot of community-based celebrations. It is Lord Ganesha’s birthday. Since he is considered to be the god of wealth, prosperity and good fortune, a lot of good things begin with his birthday: whether you are buying a new house, starting a new company, getting a genetic test like Genomepatri and so on…
Speaking of Lord Ganesha, our Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi had speculated that cosmetic surgery and reproductive genetics must have existed in ancient times using Ganesha and Karna as an example. He said“We worship Lord Ganesha. There must have been some plastic surgeon at that time who got an elephant’s head on the body of a human being and began the practice of plastic surgery.” He also said ” “We all read about Karna in the Mahabharata. If we think a little more, we realize that the Mahabharata says Karna was not born from his mother’s womb. This means that genetic science was present at that time. That is why Karna could be born outside his mother’s womb.”
Ganesh, the God with the head of an elephant (Gajamukh) is the God of all things new, good and healthy. The new and good aspects have been expounded by many experts. Our focus is as usual on the “Healthy”. There are many who would probably argue that the myth of overeating until the stomach bursts contradicts the title of this post. But we have our own counter-arguments:
- A God Who symbolizes alertness and intelligence? Health here doesn’t stop with physical fitness.
- A God Whose most accessible idol is made out of turmeric paste? The health benefits of this herb almost lead to it being patented!
- A God Who is decorated with a variety of fruits (Palavelli in Andhra Pradesh)? Add high fiber and loads of vitamins to your diet by simply consuming them later.
- A God Who is worshipped with the “Dhurva” grass? Even listing the medicinal properties of the Cynodon dactylon will require more than a few pages; you can probably find entire ayurvedic treatises.
- A God Who is offered steam cooked delicacies (we love modaks too)? What a relief from the acne-inducing sweet-meats we gorge on other festive occasions!
- A God Who is pleased with “Thoppu-karanams” (a kind of squats)? Consider fitness an added bonus here. Another bonus is the improved brain function with regular practice.
- A God Who is offered “Puja” by all members of the family, young and old? Family time for better health.
- A God Whose “Pandals” see communities of people forgetting their differences for nine days of celebrations? That’s Harmony for Health.
- A God Who can inspire an environment awareness drive? And we continue to pollute lakes and water bodies in His name…
Do we need more? Let your quest for better health begin here (Shree Ganesh to better health). All things new, good and healthy have His blessings.
Genetic test for Ganesh Chaturthi
Our comprehensive personal genomics test Genomepatri gives your genetic predisposition to a hundred plus conditions. If there is a family history and you are worried about inheriting the risk, you can consult with our genetic counselors.