World Mental Health Day 2015
Mental Health And Dignity
This Mental Health Day, it’s time for a reality check. How do we treat fellow humans with mental health issues? With care and compassion they deserve or with inhuman stigma and contempt?
- Quite often, these unfortunate men and women who are enchained by their minds are restrained and treated like dirty family secrets. Their own family members neglect them.
- Those who are placed in the care of special “homes” also face emotional and physical abuse from their “caregivers”.
- A large number of mentally-ill patients are not given a choice in their treatment-related decision making.
- About 90% of people with suicidal tendency have a diagnosable mental health issues.
- Fear of stigma often causes family members to hide mental illness, heedless of the genetic risks associated.
There are some mental issues that when neglected can push their victims into a downward spiral. And there are conditions that are treatable when detected early. Awareness, understanding, and care play a significant role in helping people with cognitive and psychiatric illnesses lead a healthier and happier life.
Mental health issues are a reality –
Give back dignity;
Show that you care…